We’ve learned that some common tasks (like adding a key) were unnecessary hard to do in the current design. Additionally the layout only allowed very few keys to be displayed on a single screen. The new editor attempts to fix these and many other aspects:
- Adding and updating keys is easier and can be done without leaving the editor
- We tried to make the interface clearer with less visual distraction. Everything now fits on one screen.
- Context: We now provide all valuable context information such as translation memory suggestions, screenshots, comments etc. always visible in the new sidebar. Plus, you can access all sidebar panels via keyboard shortcuts. Hello, power users!
- You don’t have to remember all the tags in your project when searching. Simply type “tag:” and we will present you a list of tags to choose from.
- Finding only untranslated or unverified translations is now easier and more flexible with the new filter panel.
- Permalinks: You can now link to an individual translation easily, .e.g to share it with your team
On top of that we still have several improvements planned that we’ll add over the next few weeks and that will make working with the editor even more fun.
Try it out
Curious? You can easily access the new editor interface from within the locale overview. Simply hover over the locale options and select “Open in new editor”. We will bring you to the new interface and you can start working with it immediately. This is the best way for you to try it out without affecting how your team mates work with PhraseApp.
How to upgrade
If you want to use the new editor for all projects and users in your account and benefit from all improvements right away, upgrading is easy. Simply go to your account settings (you must have management rights for the account) and select “Enable new editor”. The new editor is now the default one for your account.
We hope that the new editor will support your localization efforts even better than before. All contextual information at hand, with better filter options and a clearer interface to work with – we hope you like the new experience. If something should not yet work as expected or you have any questions, please let us know.